Table of Contents
Nowadays, summers are unbearable everywhere. What can make it a little light and refreshing are some of our reviving recipes! Kokum Juice is surely one of them. It is a popular drink that is served in Goan, Konkani, and Malvani households.
Kokum Juice is a cooling and comforting drink that just requires a few ingredients to make! Similar to Jeera Soda or Masala Shikanji, these summer drinks do disappoint us in giving a refreshing vibe.
Moreover, I always try to avoid purchasing ready-made or canned products for making any recipe, that’s why I have used fresh Kokum fruits to make Kokum Juice. Let’s read the recipe now!
What Is Kokum Juice?
Basically, Kokum is a fruit-bearing tree that comes from the mangosteen family, known as Garcinia Indica, native to the Western Ghats area of India. Kokum is also called “aamsol” in some regions of the country. This fruit is used to make Kokum Sharbat during the summers largely in Goa & Maharashtra.
How To Make Kokum Juice?
Kokum Juice Recipe
- Medium-Sized Saucepan
- Airtight Bottle/Jar
- Serving Glasses
- 2 Cups Of Kokum Fruit Finely Chopped
- 4 Cups Of Sugar
- 4 Cups Of Water
- 2 tsp Cumin Powder Roasted
- 10 Green Cardamoms Powdered
- Black Salt As Required
- Mint Leaves As Required
- Firstly, using clear water, rinse the Kokum fruits properly.
- Now cut the Kokum fruits and subtract the seeds.
- Just retain the outer cover and the pulp of the Kokum fruits.
- In a blender, add the remaining fruit and a little bit of water. Blend everything properly to obtain a fine texture.
- Using a strainer, strainer this blended mixture.
- Take a medium-sized saucepan and heat it over high heat. Add water and sugar to the saucepan and let it boil for some time until the sugar syrup gets sticky & thick. The sugar syrup must be in a consistency of ½ string.
- Allow the sugar syrup to cool down and then add the Kokum mixture. Stir well.
- Next, add the black salt, cardamom powder, and cumin powder to the mixture. Combine everything properly.
- Pour the Kokum Juice into an airtight bottle or jar and refrigerate.
- At the time of serving, take a glass of water and add 1 or 2 tablespoons of Kokum Juice.
- Add a few ice cubes into the glass and garnish it with a mint sprig.
- Serve chilled and enjoy your Kokum Juice now!
- The sugar syrup should not be overcooked because this can result in a charred flavor in the Kokum Juice.
- According to the sourness of Kokum, you can adjust the amount of sugar in your Kokum Juice.
- Also, instead of using white sugar, jaggery, honey or maple syrup can also be used to make the syrup tap giving it a healthier twist.
- Remember to cool down the sugar syrup before mixing it with the Kokum mixture.
- You can store the Kokum Sharbat in an airtight container for 6 months to 1 year. Ensure that the container is properly cleaned for storage.
- The Kokum Juice can also be frozen into popsicles or ice cubes for refreshing delights.
- You can also use dried kokum to make this recipe if fresh kokum fruits are not available.
Health Benefits Of Kokum Juice
Kokum Juice is beneficial in terms of indigestion, constipation, gas, or flatulence. Drinking Kokum Juice helps you to digest food easily and strengthens the digestive power of the body.
Promotes Weight Loss
Kokum Juice assists in losing weight due to the presence of hydroxy-citric acid. It makes your stomach feel full and hence, stops you from overeating. Plus, Kokum works as a catalyst in burning body fat and improves metabolism.
Regulates Blood Sugar
Kokum Juice helps in regulating blood sugar levels as it contains high levels of antioxidants and vitamins.
Makes Your Skin Healthier
Kokum Juice is amazing for your skin as it has anti-oxidative as well as antioxidant properties. It helps in making your skin soft, glowy & supple. Kokum is full of the enzyme known as elastane, which decreases elastin. This lets your skin stay firm & healthy.
Relieves Depression And Anxiety
Today, most of us are suffering from anxiety/depression due to several stressful reasons. Low serotonin levels are associated with anxiety in the human body. And the presence of hydroxy citric acid in kokum helps in boosting this hormone.
Protects The Liver
Kokum Juice helps in reducing the heat levels in the body and delays the oxidative degradation of lipids. It safeguards the liver from toxic chemicals.
Kokum Juice is rich in antioxidants & anti-inflammatory components. Garcinol in Kokum helps in enhancing the immunity system and protects the body from any type of cell damage.
Provides Essential Nutrients
Kokum has several nutrients that are essential for the human body such as Vitamin B complexes, Carbohydrates, Citric Acid, Potassium, Acetic Acid, Hydro Citric Acid, Manganese, etc. These are required for the proper functioning of the body.
Kokum Juice can truly be said as a nature’s hidden gem, that brims with a myriad of health benefits as well as delightful flavors and will certainly captivate your taste buds revitalizing your well-being. So, try this recipe soon and share your thoughts in the comment section below!
Can I Drink Kokum Juice Daily?
You can have it daily as it offers so many health benefits and is rich in medicinal properties. It is beneficial in managing acidity because of some active compounds present in it and helps in digestion. But don’t forget to take note of the sugar present in the Kokum Juice. It is recommended to be consumed sometimes, not every day.
How Should One Drink Kokum Juice?
The best way to have Kokum Juice is by adding a few ice cubes. If you do not prefer that, then you can utilize chilled water and add the Kokum syrup into it. This feels amazing!
Which Indian State Is Known For Kokum Juice?
So, Kokum is a fruit tree that is found in the Western Ghats of South India, and Goa & Maharashtra are too popular for Kokum trees. It is harvested during the months of April and May.