Table of Contents
Hey guys! Today, we are going to try an interesting recipe that hails from the coastal regions of our country, India. It’s Sol Kadhi, also known as “Kokum curry”, made out of Kokum extract, coconut milk & a few more ingredients.
For those of you who don’t know what “Kokum” is & how it tastes, then you must definitely try this recipe! Kokum is actually a fruit-bearing plant that falls into the category of the mangosteen family. The Kokum fruit is dark-red colored and tastes sour & sweet.
Sol Kadhi is an important beverage of the Goan, Malvani, and Konkan cuisine. You can enjoy Kokum curry on a hot summer day after a good meal just like Rose Lassi. So, let’s just go through the recipe now!
How To Make Sol Kadhi (Kokum Curry)?
Sol kadhi Recipe
- Small-Sized Bowl
- Medium-Sized Bowl
- Small Saucepan
- Serving Glasses/Bowls
For Sol Kadhi
- 18 Dried Kokums
- 4.5 Cups Of Water 1.5 Used For Soaking
- 2 Cups Coconut Milk Thick
- 2 – 3 tbsp Coriander Finely Chopped
- Salt As Required
- 2 tbsp Oil Any Neutral Oil
- 1.5 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1.5 Mustard Seeds
- 8 – 10 Curry Leaves
- 4 – 5 Garlic Cloves Crushed
- 2 Kashmiri Red Chillies Dry, Halved & Seeds Removed
- A Pinch Of Asafoetida
For Cooking The Kokum
- Start with rinsing the Kokum in water. Then, take a small bowl and add 1.5 cups of water.
- Add the Kokum into the small-sized bowl and let it soak for at least 30 Minutes.
- When the Kokum are soaked well, squeeze or crush them properly using your fingers or a spoon in the bowl of water as such.
- Now, this Kokum extract has to be strained in a bowl using a strainer.
- You will see that the Kokum shreds will remain in the strainer. Mash the Kokum shreds using a spoon again in order to get more of its flavor.
For Making Sol Kadhi
- Add 3 cups of water to the medium-sized bowl containing Kokum extract.
- Now add the thick coconut milk to the Kokum extract and stir well.
- Add a pinch of salt and mix everything properly. And set it aside till you are ready with the tempering.
For Making The Tempering
- Take a small saucepan and heat it over low to medium heat. Add oil and let it heat.
- Next add mustard seeds and cumin seeds, let the crackling happen for at least 30 seconds.
- Now add curry leaves, crushed garlic cloves, dry red chillies, and a pinch of asafoetida.
- Allow all the ingredients to fry for a few seconds and catch up a light golden color.
- Now remove the saucepan from the heat and immediately pour this tempering into the Kokum mixture. Combine everything nicely.
- Pour the Sol Kadhi into serving glasses or bowls. Garnish your Sol Kadhi by adding coriander leaves.
- Serve right away and enjoy!
- To prepare the solkadi, you can even make use of canned coconut milk. It’s better to use fresh coconut milk but if it’s not available, then this will work.
- When squeezing the Kokum to get all the flavor out in the bowl, do not try to rush. Take some time and try to get all the Kokum extract out of the Kokum fruit.
- If you want to store the Sol Kadhi, then refrigerate it in an airtight container. Do not leave it at room temperature because the coconut milk might become rancid.
Isn’t this recipe of Sol Kadhi mouthwatering? Yes, it is! So, now it’s your turn to gather all the ingredients listed above and start preparing Sol Kadhi for yourself as well as your loved ones! Do let us know about your experience with this Goan beverage in the comments section below.
How To Sol Kadhi Less Sour?
You can do this by adding extra coconut milk to reduce the sourness of the Kokum. Coconut milk is inherently sweet and creamy. Therefore, it helps in balancing out the flavor of the Kokum extract.
Can Sol Kadhi Be Made Ahead Of Time?
Honestly, the answer is no! It is best to make Sol Kadhi the day you want to consume it and this special recipe is best enjoyed as soon as it is prepared. You can keep it in your refrigerator for a few hours but never store any leftovers for the next day.
Is Sol Kadhi Healthy?
Sol Kadhi is a drink that is very cooling in nature and helps in cooling the digestive system specifically after consuming a lot of spicy food. It works excellently in cases of acidity. Sol Kadhi also promotes weight loss and contains antioxidants that improve skin health during the summer season.
How To Have Sol Kadhi, Hot Or Cold?
Sol kadhi is usually served immediately after preparing it. But if you want to have it chilled, then refrigerate it for a few hours and then have it.