Table of Contents
Summers, mangoes, and ice cream, what a perfect combination, right? And who isn’t obsessed with mangoes! In Asian countries, summer is generally hot, & that’s why people like to eat food that is refreshing like aamras or sikhye.
Mango bingsu is a popular dessert in Korea and other Asian countries in the summer season. It has all the delicious ingredients like mangoes, condensed milk, ice cream, etc. However, mango bingsu has a lot of variations as different toppings can be added.
The best part of this recipe is that it is completely customizable, refreshing, and quick to prepare! Let’s check out the recipe so that you can make it for yourself and your closest ones.
How To Make Mango Bingsu?
Mango Bingsu Recipe
- Medium-Sized Saucepan
- Medium-Sized Container
- Small Bowl
- Zip Bag
- Ice Shaver
- Rolling Pin
- Large Bowl
- 800 ML Milk Of Your Choice
- 4 tbsp Sweetened Condensed Milk
For Mango Puree
- 500 g Frozen/Fresh Mango Finely Chopped
- 120 ML Water
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- Few Drops Of Lemon
- 2 to 3 Scoops Of Vanilla Ice Cream
- 400 g Of Frozen/Fresh Mango Cut Into Fine Cubes
- Roasted Shaved Almonds Optional
- A Drizzle Of Sweetened Condensed Milk Optional
For Making The Mango Puree
- Start by mixing the mango, lemon, sugar, and water altogether in a blender to make a puree-like consistency. Do not make it too thin.
- Next, in a medium-sized saucepan, pour the puree and cook it over medium to high heat for at least 5 minutes to let the sugar dissolve completely. When the mango puree is cooked properly it becomes more smooth & creamier and enhances the flavor.
- Transfer the mango puree into a medium size container and refrigerate it for a minimum of 1 hour.
For Making The Shaved Ice
- In a small bowl, add milk and sweetened condensed milk. Mix them well.
- Put this mixture into a zip bag and close it correctly.
- Make sure that the zip bag you are using is big enough, so that when the milk is laid flat, it doesn’t go beyond 0.5 cm or 0.2 inch. This is recommended because it will become easier for you to crack it later.
- But if you are utilizing an ice shaver, then you can use the given containers to store the milk and sweetened condensed milk mixture. Remember to freeze them in your refrigerator for at least 4 to 5 hours.
- Now, when the mixture is frozen, start cracking the frozen milk into small pieces with your own hands.
- After that, utilize a rolling pin to further crush the frozen milk. And if you are utilizing an ice shaver, then put the milk blocks in the ice shaver and continue the process.
For Assembling The Bingsu
- Take a large bowl and add the shaved ice.
- Now, top it with fresh mango cubes and one of two scoops of vanilla ice-cream.
- Next, pour the mango puree and also drizzle some condensed milk as well.
- Lastly, sprinkle a few shaved almonds on top of it. And it’s ready to eat!
- Always select ripe, juicy, and sweet mangoes because the mango quality will have an effect on the flavor of the mango bingsu dish.
- For giving it a chewy texture, add a few tteoks (Korean rice cakes) that are specially made for the dish.
- Some whipped cream or yogurt can also be added on top of the mango bingsu as an alternative to vanilla ice cream.
- Before assembling the ingredients, remember to freeze the bowl. You can do it by keeping the bowl in your freezer. This step is important because it will help in keeping the mango bingsu cold and will not let it melt easily.
- The best way to serve mango bingsu is to serve it fresh and immediately after assembling. However, the mango puree can be prepared earlier as it can be stored for at least 2 to 3 days in an airtight container.
So, what’s up? Trying this recipe or not? Well, I know your answer would definitely be “Yes”! One of the best ways to feel refreshed on a hot summer day is to eat mango bingsu. The combination of textures, from the fluffy shaved ice to the juicy mango chunks, creates a delightful harmony that leaves you craving for more!
What Is Healthier, Shaved Ice, Or Shaved Milk Ice?
Both shaved ice and shaved milk are known for their low calories and low fats. But, shaved milk ice might contain a higher amount of fat & calories because of the milk it contains.
Is It Okay To Prepare Mango Bingsu And Consume Later?
It is always said that mango bingsu is best when prepared and served fresh! If the shaved ice and the toppings are prepared ahead of time, then they will lose their texture as well as flavor. Just the mango puree can be made earlier and stored.
Can Mango Bingsu Be Prepared Without Using Condensed Milk?
Yes, it is perfectly fine to prepare mango bingsu without using sweetened condensed milk. You can use white sugar as an alternative to make the milk sweet. The condensed milk can also be replaced with heavy cream.
How To Cut Mangoes For Preparing Mango Bingsu?
For making mango bingsu, you need to cut mangoes into small cubes.