Table of Contents
Quick Summary: “Can Ragi cause constipation?” Yes, if you’re someone who loves to eat cakes, porridge, and fermented foods, like dosa, and idli, you’re more likely to be familiar with Ragi which is used to prepare these delicious food items. But you may have a question: “Does ragi flour cause constipation in babies, or adults?” Fret not! This article will answer your question.
Are you someone who loves to enjoy luscious food items like idli, dosa, cake, and the like? If your answer is affirmative, I’m sure you’re familiar with Ragi, a nutritious grain.
Yes, Ragi happens to be a tiny, round grain that’s reddish-brown in color with a marginally sweet and nutty flavor utilized to make porridge, and fermented foods like idli and dosa.
Also known as finger millet, Ragi is a nutritious grain that benefits your health, but people often raise questions like “Can ragi cause constipation?” Let’s answer this question!
A Bit About Ragi
To put it in a nutshell, Ragi is a non-acidic, and non-glutinous grain used to make different types of food items. It contains many essential nutrients such as calcium, protein, iron, dietary fiber, and vitamins B1, and B2, making it the right choice for healthy food making.
Ragi is rich in amino acids, and tryptophan, which assists you in managing and preventing depression, anxiety, and insomnia, ensuring a right and sound sleep in both babies and adults.
Advantages of Eating Ragi
Ragi is consumed in different regions across the world, especially in India and Africa. Before we know whether it causes constipation or not, let’s be familiar with the benefits of eating Ragi!
- Good Digestion: Ragi tends to contain dietary fiber, capable of assisting you to have better digestion, prevent constipation, and improve gut health.
- High Protein: Ragi has Eleusinian which has a major protein content, and prevents malnutrition, hence, is considered an excellent source of protein in vegetarians.
- Rich In Minerals: Ragi contains calcium, magnesium, and iron which play a larger role in maintaining strong bones, appropriate blood circulation, and healthy muscles.
- Gluten-Free: Ragi, unlike other grains, does not contain gluten which makes it an excellent alternative for people with gluten intolerance, and celiac disease.
- Anti-Aging Attributes: Ragi tends to have an anti-aging cereal and natural skin care agent. Amino acids such as Lysine, and Methionine in Ragi ensure complete protection of your skin for risk of wrinkles, and rashes, avoiding aging signs.
- Better For Diabetics: Ragi happens to have a low glycemic index, making it the right choice for people with diabetes—as it regulates blood sugar levels.
- Weight Reduction: Being a low-calorie grain, Ragi is high in fiber, hence, lets you feel full for a longer period, mitigating the amount of food you consume, and reducing weight.
Disadvantages of Eating Ragi
Ragi is known to be a grain that is full of nutrition and good for health, however, eating it may also have some disadvantages. Read through the pointers below to know these advantages of eating Ragi.
- Allergic Reactions: People allergic to Ragi are more likely to experience symptoms for instance, hives, itching, and difficulties in breathing after eating it.
- Thyroid Dysfunction: Ragi has goitrogens which is an ingredient that may interrupt the thyroid functionalities, leading to an enlarged thyroid gland (goiter) in the case of some people.
- Flatulence: There are people out there who may experience bloating and flatulence when they have Ragi, specifically if they don’t consume an increased amount of fiber.
Note: It’s crucial to consider and keep the fact in mind that only an excessive consumption of Ragi can lead to these harms, and if it’s consumed in a balanced diet, there’s no way Ragi can have any negative impact on your overall health.
Can Ragi Cause Constipation?
After an in-depth understanding of the advantages and disadvantages of eating Ragi, now is the time to explore and have the answer to the very question “can Ragi cause constipation”.
Ragi is a rich source of protein, dietary fiber, and the like that provides numerous essential nutrients for health benefits. In recent years, people have been concerned about whether eating Ragi can cause constipation.
The answer to this question is a big “No”. Yes, Ragi doesn’t cause constipation, neither in babies nor in adults. However, it doesn’t cause constipation, the excessive consumption of Ragi, like any other food, can cause constipation in some people.
Studies have shown, however, that Ragi isn’t recommended for kids having food sensitivities as it may cause diarrhea, stomach gas, or bloating stomach pain. In case a kid experiences constipation after eating Ragi, you should see a doctor.
How to Avoid Constipation Caused by Ragi?
Now that you know that eating Ragi doesn’t cause constipation, it would be better to explore some tips on how to lessen the chances of Ragi from causing constipation.
A slow start is the right way to circumvent the chances of Ragi constipation. In case someone isn’t habituated to consuming high-fiber food like Ragi, it’s better to start with a small amount and increase gradually. It helps you adjust the digestive system and avoid constipation.
Consider increasing the level of water consumption when you introduce Ragi to your diet. Ample hydration is essential for healthy and appropriate digestion.
Pair with Vegetables or Ghee
To ensure easy digestion, you should consider pairing Ragi with ghee or vegetables. While vegetables add fiber and nutrients, Ghee tends to be a healthy fat that strengthens the digestive system.
Monitor The Reaction
Everyone has a different digestive system, hence it is essential to monitor health when you introduce Ragi to your diet. In case you experience any sort of digestive discomfort, for instance, bloating, constipation, or gas, consider adjusting the amount of Ragi by increasing or decreasing it.
That’s all there’s to it! We discussed everything like the advantages, disadvantages, and ways to reduce the chances of constipation caused by Ragi consumption. However, it doesn’t cause constipation, if it does, in some cases you can eliminate it by applying these suggested tips.
Hopefully, you’ve got the answer to your question “Can Ragi cause constipation”. So enjoy eating Ragi with no worry about it causing constipation.