Table of Contents
What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear about “Orange Pekoe Tea”? You might be thinking that it is made using Oranges, right? I also thought the same thing but “Orange Pekoe” is a term that is generally associated with black tea, and it is not referring to the flavour or utilizing orange to make the tea!
Rather, it is a grading term that is used in the tea industry to classify the size and quality of tea leaves. Orange Pekoe is a tea that originates in South Asian Countries and you know what, there are various types of grades under the category of Orange Pekoe. Wanna jump into the recipe now? Let’s do it!
How To Make Orange Pekoe Tea?
Orange Pekoe Tea Recipe
- Fine Mesh Strainer
- Tea Cups
- 4 tsp Of Orange Pekoe Tea Leaves
- 4 Cups Of Water Boiled
- 4 tsp Of Sugar Optional
- 4 tsp Of Milk Optional
- 4 tsp Of Lemon Juice Optional
- Before you start prepping to make the Orange Pekoe Tea, take the teapot and raise it in warm water properly.
- Now add the orange pekoe tea leaves into the teapot and add the hot boiled water over the tea leaves.
- Allow the tea to steep for at least 5 minutes. Always remember that if the steeping time is more than this then your tea might get bitter and you won’t be able to enjoy it.
- Next, using a fine mesh strainer, strain your orange pekoe tea into the tea cups.
- At this point, if you prefer then you can add milk or completely avoid it.
- If you want to sweeten your Orange Pekoe Tea, then add sugar as per your taste.
- Your hot cup of Orange Pekoe Tea is ready!
- Adding lemon juice is optional, it depends on you if you want to give your tea a citrusy twist or not.
- The steeping time of Orange Pekoe Tea is quite essential here and it is generally one’s choice. Some people like to have their tea as lightly brewed, while fee of them like a strong tea and some like it to be bitter.
- To serve it cold, after brewing the tea let it cool down for a bit. Then add a few ice cubes and it becomes the Iced Orange Pekoe Tea, which is amazing.
The orange pekoe has a delicate flavour. Hence, you must store it carefully. Store it in an airtight container in a dry and dark place to minimize exposure to any moisture or light in the atmosphere. Keep it away from any strong smells, such as spices or perfumes.
Health Benefits Of Orange Pekoe Tea
Fully-Packed With Antioxidants
Orange Pekoe Tea is rich in polyphenols and this is a compound that helps in reducing oxidation in the human body. Orange Pekoe Tea is highly effective at delivering antioxidants to human bodies. Consuming Orange Pekoe Tea on a regular basis helps your body to absorb antioxidants and prevents adverse effects of unstable free radicals. It also helps in fighting pathogens that are generally related to intestinal infections.
Might Prevent Serious Ailments
As you know Orange Pekoe Tea contains high levels of antioxidants and that’s how it helps prevent different types of diseases such as cancer. Some studies suggest that there are certain compounds that help in reducing the growth as well as the spread of cancerous cells in human bodies.
One such compound in Orange Pekoe Tea is “polyphenols”. Also, antioxidants have the ability to prevent any type of harm to cellular DNA and keep the cancerous cells in control. They might also help in the healthy production of new cells as they prevent mutations from replicating.
It Keeps Your Heart Healthy
Orange Pekoe Tea is known for reducing the level of cholesterol and regulating blood pressure and it also has anti-inflammatory properties. That is why it is considered healthy to drink Orange Pekoe Tea.
Promotes Weight Loss
Orange Pekoe Tea is rich in polyphenol compounds and it helps in weight loss. It is a well-known tea drink that helps in losing weight. Furthermore, it prevents obesity as it helps in improving how the human body regulates/controls the level of insulin and glucose.
Improves The Functioning Of The Brain
Orange Pekoe tea improves brain health and its overall functioning. It might help in improving attentiveness & focus because it contains caffeine as well as amino acids (L-theanine). This particular amino acid helps in increasing alpha activity in the brain which further helps in improving alertness.
Similar to Korean Cinnamon Tea, Green Plum Tea or Korean Ginger Tea, Orange Pekoe Tea is also comforting and has a very light taste which helps lift your mood in seconds! It has a refreshing vibe and is perfect for a Sunday evening. Try out this amazing Orange Pekoe Tea recipe and do not forget to share your reviews in our comment section below!
Does Orange Pekoe Tea Have The Flavour Of Orange?
No! Orange Pekoe tea does not contain any orange flavour and the name is associated with the grading system, and not actually to the taste. Orange Pekoe tea actually has different flavours depending on the tea type such as black tea, white tea and green tea.
Is Orange Pekoe Tea Really Strong?
Actually, it depends on the steeping time to make the Orange Pekoe Tea. If you want your tea to be light, then keep the steeping time less and if you want it to be strong or bitter, then you need to have the steeping time more than 5 minutes.
Is It Okay To Drink Orange Pekoe Tea Daily?
Yes, it is fine to drink Orange Pekoe Tea daily but it is recommended to consume it in moderation.
Can Orange Pekoe Tea Be Enjoyed With Milk And Sugar?
Absolutely yes! Orange Pekoe tea is usually enjoyed with milk and sugar, especially in the case of black tea. However, the choice for adding milk and sugar is subjective and varies from person to person. Some people prefer to drink Orange Pekoe Tea without these to enjoy its natural flavours.