A sweet and sour Gujarati curry very well known as “Khatiyawadi sev tameta nu shaak” which is prepared with tomato, sev, onion, and other Indian spices.
Another name for this curry is Gathiya nu shaak as homemade sev can be the substitute for store-bought nylon sev.
Sev is a crispy vermicelli made from gram flour. The sev is readily available in any Indian grocery store. Also, it can be made while cooking this dish with besan.
To prepare this healthy, tasty and easy Gujarati curry, follow the steps below.
Iconic Kathiyawadi Sev Tameta Nu Shaak
- 4 Tomatoes (chopped)
- ½ cup Thick sev (readily available or homemade)
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 Onion (finely chopped) (optional)
- Finely chopped coriander
- 1 tsp Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 Finely chopped green chili
- 2 tsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Kashmiri Red chili powder
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- ¼ tsp Garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ½ cup Water
- Salt as per your taste
- In a kadhai, heat oil on medium flame. Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. As soon as they splutter, put finely chopped onions and saute until they are light brown.
- Add finely chopped tomatoes, then put ginger garlic paste and chopped green chili. Mix for 30 seconds.
- Saute for a while, now add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder,garam masala, salt, and sugar. Mix them. On medium flame, cook them for 2 minutes.
- Pour ½ cup water and stir until tomatoes become soft. Add sev and cook for 3-4 minutes. Mix in between occasionally.
- Turn off the flame when the water is absorbed and the thick consistency is obtained. Take a serving bowl and transfer the curry to the bowl, garnish with coriander leaves (optional).
- Serve the curry with hot roti or phulkas or paratha.
- Add more water if you want more gravy, as the sev absorbs water from the gravy.
- You can skip green chili, to make it less spicy.
- You can replace ready-made sev with homemade sev by using gram flour (besan).
After a long tiring day, a typical Gujarati dinner is what you need. This easy and quick curry is the all-time favorite cuisine in Gujarati households along with Kadhi & Khichdi.
This simple and quick dish is tasty and has lots of flavors and textures.Serve this with paratha, chapati, or bajra rotis alongside buttermilk, chopped onion, and chili coriander chutney as a delicious meal for lunch or dinner.
What is sev made of?
Sev is made from chickpea flour or besan, seasoned with turmeric, ajwain, and other Indian spices, and deep fried in oil. It has different thicknesses and flavors.
Origin of sev tameta nu shaak?
It is an authentic kathiyawadi Gujarati curry. This curry is a delicious and tempting dish, very famous in Gujarat. It is believed to be a traditional curry of Saurashtra, Gujarat.
What is the substitute for ready-made sev?
A homemade sev- Gathiya. Take a bowl and put besan flour and add Indian spices- turmeric powder, coriander powder, chili powder and mix them. Add water until a pourable consistency is attained. Take a slotted spoon, place it over the bubbling tomato curry and pour the batter on the spoon. The thick strands like sev will drop into the curry. Cook them until the thick sev starts to float on the gravy.