Table of Contents
Eomuk Bokkeum, a popular dish in Korea as well as worldwide, is a processed seafood that is prepared with pureed fish. It means fish cake, but apparently not, the fish cake is known in the world of western cooking.
You must know that there are a lot of dishes that are made with eomuk, which includes eomuk soup, a widely popular street food in Korea. Eomuk Bokkeum is actually considered to be a staple side dish at home and also generally served at most of the restaurants.
Basically, it is a stir-fried fish cake that is super quick and easy to prepare. It has a sweet, salty, spicy, and chewy flavor, which indicates that it goes excellently with rice. The blandness of the rice neutralizes with the strong flavors of eomuk bokkeum. Also, the spicy fish cakes add zest & relish to the white rice.
Eomuk bokkeum is a super easy Korean cuisine, and it can be found in a vast array of dishes which includes Kimbap, Rabokki, and Tteokbokki. To be honest, this is my favorite Korean side dish. And I know, once you try eomuk bokkeum, this will become your favorite dish too!
How To Make Eomuk Bokkeum (Stir-Fried Fishcake)
Eomuk Bokkeum (Korean Stir-Fried Fishcake) Recipe
- Medium-sized Pot
- Non-Stick Pan
- 250 g Or 4 Sheets Of Eomuk i.e., Fish Cake (Sheets & Store-Bought)
- ¼ Onion Medium Sized
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 Red Chilli Pepper ¼ Red Bell Pepper Or ½ Carrot
- 1 Green Chilli Pepper Or ¼ Green Bell Pepper
- ½ Scallion
- Oil For Stir Frying
- 2 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 1 tsp Sugar Or Adjust According To Your Preference
- 1 tbsp Rice Wine Or Mirin
- 2 to 3 tsp Gochugaru Korean Red Chilli Pepper Flakes
- A Pinch Of Black Pepper
- First, take a medium-sized pot and add water to it. Bring it to a boil, and now turn off the flame.
- Dip the fish cake for about 30 to 40 seconds. Drain out the entire white and let it cool down. This step helps in removing the extra oil and softens the fish cake.
- Now, cut the fish cake into square pieces.
- Assemble all the vegetables in one place and start cutting all the vegetables one by one.
- Take a non-stick pan and add 2 tablespoons of oil over medium to high heat.
- Next, add onion, scallions, and garlic to the pan. Cook all of them for about a minute or so. Remember to cook them on medium heat.
- Add the fish cake and also chili peppers at this point. Stir fry for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add all the sauce ingredients and the vegetables to the fish cake.
- Mix well and keep cooking until the sauce is combined properly with the fish cake and the vegetables become tender.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
- However, there are numerous shapes of fish cakes and the ideal type for stir-frying is the thin rectangular shape.
- You can also mix all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and then pour it into the pan directly, if you think this is more comfortable for you.
- You can add gochugaru according to your taste buds to make it spicier or less spicy.
- For vegetables, along with onion & scallions, you can add bell peppers, carrots, or chili peppers, according to your preference.
- You can serve eomuk bokkeum with rice.
Wasn’t this recipe interesting? Also, another reason why eomuk bokkeum is hugely popular, despite its moreish flavors, is how quick & easy it is to make with just a few ingredients. Today, I am really excited to share this special dish with you. Do let me know if you make this dish at your home, I really want to know how it turns out for you!
Is Korean Fish Cake Healthy?
Eomuk or fish cakes can be a super healthy dish if only it is prepared with superior quality of fish meat with not much fillers & less oil.
What Is Eomuk Made Of?
Fishcake is known as “eomuk” in Korea, a processed seafood product that is made of ground white fish and several other ingredients such as sugar, vegetables, and potato starch.
How long can you keep Eomuk Bukkeum?
As eomuk bokkeum is a stir-fried recipe made with a spicy sauce, so it can last in the fridge for about 3 to 4 days. And if you see that there is a change in the texture from chewy to extremely soft, then it would be best if you discard it.
Is Eomuk Gluten Free?
Yes, this dish is a gluten-free delight for your tastebuds. This is extremely simple to make, and you can try it out at home.