Table of Contents
Bhakarwadi, a favorite Farsan addition that adds crunch and a comforting, spicy sweetness to the dish, is a beloved Maharashtrian snack with Gujarati origins.
This delectable bhakarwadi recipe snack is widely known for its enticing flavor, mouthwatering texture, and attractive appearance.
The Bhakarwadi recipe includes gram flour, all-purpose flour, or whole wheat flour to make the outer layer.
Sesame, poppy, and coconut are incorporated into the stuffing and various seasonings. To make this, however, you’ll need a little time, patience, and practice.
How to Make Bhakarwadi?
- 2 Bowls
- Frying pan
- For dough
- 1-2 cups Gram flour
- ½ -1 cup All-purpose flour
- ½ tsp Salt
- ½ tbsp Oil
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- A pinch of asafoetida hing
- Water for kneading
- For masala powder
- ¼ cup Dried coconut
- 1 tbsp Sesame seeds
- ½ tbsp Poppy seeds khaskhas
- ½ tsp Ginger powder
- ¼ tsp Red chili powder
- ½ tsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp Coriander powder
- ¾ tsp Salt
- 2-3 tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Lemon juice or Imli water tamarind water
- ½ tsp Amchur powder dry mango powder
- Oil for deep frying
Preparing the dough
- First, combine all-purpose flour and gram flour in a large bowl. A pinch of hing, turmeric, and salt. Mix well.
- Now add heated oil and knead well. Ensure the flour is wet and keeps its shape when squeezed between your fists. Crush and combine evenly.
- When needed, add water and knead the dough until it is tight and smooth.
- Oil the dough with your hands gently. For 20 minutes, cover it and let it rest at room temperature.
Preparation of Masala stuffing
- First, take dried coconut in a mixing bowl.
- Add cumin seeds, coriander seeds and coriander powder, sesame seeds, and poppy seeds.
- After that, add turmeric powder, ginger powder, garam masala, red chili powder, amchur powder, sugar, and salt and mix thoroughly.
- Using no water, mix to a slightly coarse powder. Leave aside.
To make Bhakarwadi
- First, lightly knead the dough and pinch it into a large ball. Flatten them by using a chapati roller to do so.
- Next, apply oil to the rolling pin and base.
- Make them slightly thicker than chapati by rolling them into a square or round form.
- A tamarind chutney is then spread, leaving the edges empty.
- Spread the masala stuffing while leaving the sides empty. Now apply grease or water to the sides of the roll to seal the ends.
- Roll the dough very firmly while going slowly and ensuring no holes. Otherwise, bhakarwadi will break apart while being fried.
- Further, cut the roll to your preferred length, such as 2 cm.
- Slightly flatten and press. Layers and masala are kept intact owing to this.
- While the oil is heating, deep fry the rolls over a medium flame.
- Stir them repeatedly until they are crisp and golden brown.
- To remove extra oil, drain the bhakarwadi on a kitchen towel.
- Finally, after completely cooling, serve bhakarwadi with masala chai or preserve for a month in an airtight jar.
- Ensure that the dough is just the right consistency-not too soft or stiff.
- To the flour, always add heated oil. You’d get the best-tasting crispy and crunchy bhakarwadi as a result.
- To prevent the stuffing from spilling out when the dough is fried, it must be rolled out firmly and properly.
- Fry on low heat; else, the bhakarwadi will remain soft and under-cooked.
Bhakarwadi is a well-known snack from western India. Like famous snacks such as Patra and Lilva kachori, bhakarwadi is another famous Gujarati snack. Bhakarwadi is fried crisp pinwheels or spirals. It can be served as a savory snack in Gujarat, Maharashtra, and Rajasthan alongside other well-known sweets.
What is the English name for Bhakarwadi?
In English, it is generally referred to as swiss roll. Blending Gram flour, all-purpose flour, and whole wheat flour is a deep-fried snack in the shape of pinwheels filled with a tangy, hot, sweet, nutty filling.
Is Maida used to make Bhakarwadi?
First, I formed the dough according to the traditional recipe using plain or maida flour. However, it is modifiable, and wheat flour can be added to make it healthier and more delicious. Secondly, you must take extreme caution when deep-frying these by controlling the temperature and flame intensity.