Table of Contents
There are different names for Khandvi; however, it is known as Patuli or Dahi Vadi in Gujarat. And the Maharashtrian name of khandvi is Suralichi Vadi.
Khandvi is yellowish, bite-sized, tightly rolled pieces prepared from gram flour and yogurt and has simple seasonings.
Khandvi, commonly eaten as an appetizer, is healthy as it consists of gram flour and yogurt. Please go through the steps mentioned below to cook khandvi.
How to Make Khandvi?
Delicious Gujarati Khandvi Recipe
- ½ cup Gram flour (besan)
- 1 cup Sour yogurt/buttermilk
- ¼ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Sesame seeds
- ½ tsp Mustard seeds
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- 1-2 Green chili finely chopped
- 5-8 Curry leaves
- 2 tbsp Chopped coriander
- Chili powder for Garnishing
- Oil For greasing and tempering
- Take gram flour, buttermilk, yogurt (add 1 cup water and stir well), turmeric powder, and salt in a bowl. Mix and make a smooth batter using a hand blender or a whisk.
- On a low flame, cook the batter in a heavy-bottomed pan and keep stirring to avoid lump formation.
- Meanwhile, grease a large plate or the back of a thali with cooking oil and keep it aside.
- Cook until the batter becomes thick and until the raw taste is gone.
- Transfer the cooked batter to the previously greased thali. Spread the batter in a thin layer with the back of a spoon or spatula.
- Depending upon the quantity of batter, spread the whole batter on a large plate or 2-3 thalis.
- Let it cool for a while and then place straight cuts using a knife and prepare wide strips.
- Now carefully and lightly roll each strip into a roll and transfer them to a plate.
- Heat 1-2 tbsp of oil in a small pan, add mustard and cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Add curry leaves and chopped green chili as they crackle, and saute them for a minute. Once cooked, add sesame seeds and turn off the flame.
- Pour the seasoning over the rolled khandvi. And sprinkle coriander leaves as Garnishing.
- Serve the Khandvi rolls with mint coriander chutney or garlic chutney.
- To check whether the batter is cooked correctly, spread a small amount on a smooth plate, leave it for a while, and then try to peel it. If it comes out quickly, it is ready.
- Instead of sour yogurt, you can directly use sour buttermilk.
- Garnishing can be done with scraped coconut and coriander.
- You can spread the batter on the greased marble platform instead of a thali or a flat plate.
Khandvi is a mouth-watering Gujarati snack with two healthy ingredients: besan and buttermilk or yogurt.
A batter is prepared by mixing besan, yogurt, turmeric powder, and salt, and cooked and bite-sized tight rolls are made.
The simple seasonings of spices are done, and the khandvi is served with mint coriander chutney or dates (khajur) chutney.
What is khandvi?
It is made from sour yogurt and besan. The texture of khandvi is soft and silky. It is yellowish and has tightly rolled bite-sized pieces.
Can we use maida to make khandvi?
Khandvi is a delicious snack from Gujarat. Maida is not preferred to make khandvi as the smooth batter is required to prepare khandvi. Generally, gram flour (besan) is used.
Khandvi is a famous dish of?
Gujarat is famous for khandvi. The other Gujarati name for this tasty snack is patuli, dahivadi or suralichi vadi (Maharashtrian name). The main ingredients of this dish are gram flour and sour yogurt.
Is khandvi healthy?
Yes, it is, as gram flour (besan) is used as the main ingredient. Besan is rich in protein and has good fat. Also, it is high in complex carbs and has a low glycemic index which is beneficial for even Diabetics.