Table of Contents
Papad is actually prepared from the dough of khichu. Different flours can be used to make this snack such as rice flour, wheat flour, bajra flour, jowar flour, etc. However, rice flour is mostly used to prepare this breakfast/evening snack.
In this recipe, chili, cumin seeds, ajwain, and salt are added to boiling water until a thick yet soft dough is obtained. Once the rice flour is cooked properly it is served with peanut oil or pickle masala. To prepare this healthy and tasty yet quick snack, go through the steps given below.
How to Make Khichu?
Recipe of Khichu (Papdi no lot)
- 2 ½ cups Water
- Chili 1-2 finely crushed
- 1 tbsp Cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp Ajwain
- ¼ tsp Baking soda
- Salt 1 tsp or as required
- 1 cup – Rice flour
- Oil or pickle masala for serving
- In a pan take 2 ½ cup water and heat it on low flame. Add crushed chili, 1 tsp cumin seeds, ¼ tsp ajwain, salt, and ¼ tsp baking soda (if available, papad Khar is added instead of baking soda).
- Stir and let the water boil for 3-4 minutes. As the water starts bubbling add 1 cup of rice flour and mix well.
- Mix continuously until the rice flour absorbs the water. Make sure to break the lumps and form a fluffy and soft mixture.
- Cover the pan and simmer until the rice flour is cooked completely.
- Transfer it to a plate and serve the hot khichu with peanut oil or any cooking oil or pickle masala.
- Make sure that you break the lumps. You can use a fork or whisk to do that.
- You can add coriander leaves to water which will enhance the taste of khichu.
- Another variation is you can use wheat flour or an equal amount of wheat flour and rice flour together.
- Serve it hot and enjoy the taste.
In Gujarat, when you visit the consumer fair you would notice a stall selling a white dough-like lump with pickle masala sprinkled on it. That’s khichu. Traditionally it was used to prepare papads.
Honestly, this evening snack does not look very appealing to the eyes but is an easy, quick, and healthy snack. Give it a try at home.
What is papdi no lot?
Khichu and papdi no lot are the same thing. It is prepared from rice flour, chili, salt, cumin seeds, and water. Traditionally papdi no lot is used to make papad.
What is khichu known as in English?
Khichu is a kind of rice cake. Rice flour along with some spices and water is steamed for 5-10 minutes until the soft, fluffy, and smooth dough-like stuff is obtained.
Which flour can be used to cook khichu?
Mostly rice flour is used to cook this snack. However, wheat flour, jowar flour, Bajra flour etc can also be used. Also, wheat flour and rice flour of equal quantity can be used together to make khichu.
Is khichu healthy?
Yes. It is a light snack and can be digested easily as it consists of rice flour that is steamed. Also, ajwain is added to it which is good for the stomach.