Table of Contents
Veg Peking soup is a mouthwatering Chinese dish, easy to prepare and it is a mix of different vegetables & Asian spices which makes it a healthy appetizer to start your meal with! You can even have this recipe during cold evenings as it gives you the warmth & comforting vibe.
This Chinese soup recipe has the perfect combination of sour flavor & spiciness. Each sip of the veg peking soup is soul-satisfying! I am sure that you will definitely enjoy the veg peking soup recipe!
How to Make Veg Peking Soup?
Veg Peking Soup Recipe
- Medium-Sized Pan
- Soup Bowls
- 10 Button Mushrooms Sliced
- 50 Grams Carrot Finely Grated
- 0.5 Cup French Beans Finely Chopped
- 0.5 Cup Cabbage Shredded
- ¼ Cup Onions Finely Chopped
- 2 tsp Garlic Finely Chopped
- 2 tsp Ginger Finely Chopped
- 4 tsp Celery Finely Chopped
- Few Chopped Coriander Leaves Cilantro
- Spring Onions Green & Finely Chopped
- 4 tsp Rice Vinegar
- Vegetable Stock Or 4 to 5 Cups Of Water
- 4 to 6 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Sesame Oil Or Butter
- 8 to 10 tsp Cornstarch Mixed with 2 tbsp Water
- Salt As Required
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1.5 tsp Black Pepper Crushed
- Start with rinsing all the vegetables in water nicely. If you prefer, you can even wipe the button mushrooms using a wet cloth so that they are dry & clean.
- Nicely cut the mushrooms into fine slices. Grate the carrots, and shred the cabbage. Peel and chop the other vegetables nicely.
For Stir Frying The Vegetables
- Take a medium-sized pan and add sesame oil or butter (of your choice).
- Now, put in the finely chopped ginger, garlic and onions. Saute them on a low to medium heat for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Next, into the pan goes the finely chopped French beans. Mix them well and give it a nice stir.
- Add the sliced mushrooms and stir-fry the veggies on medium to high heat. Saute them until a slight brownish color appears at the edges of the mushroom.
- In the meantime, mix cornstarch and water properly. Save it for later.
- Once the mushrooms turn into a golden light brown color, add chopped celery, grated carrots, and shredded cabbage.
- Saute these vegetables on a high heat for at least 5 minutes.
For Making Veg Peking Soup
- Now add vegetable stock of water and mix well.
- Add soy sauce and salt. Stir well. Bring the veg peking soup to a boil and let it simmer on medium to low heat.
- Before adding the cornstarch paste, stir well and then add it to the veg peking soup because the cornstarch tends to settle at the bottom. Mix again.
- Let the soup reach a slightly thick consistency. When it has nicely attained the desired consistency, add vinegar, sugar, and black pepper. Stir well and then coriander leaves as well.
- Mix it well for the last time and turn off the heat. Check the taste of the soup and if needed, you can add more spices at this time.
- Pour the veg peking soup into soup bowls and garnish it with spring onions and coriander leaves. Serve hot!
- If sesame oil is not available, you are good to go with any other oils like peanut oil, olive oil, sunflower oil and butter.
- You can also use white pepper powder, red chilli paste, or green chilli, instead of using black pepper. Adjust the quantity as per your liking.
- While adding salt, keep a check because soy sauce already contains salt.
- I would recommend you to store veg parking soup in an airtight container and refrigerate it just for a single day. You can reheat it in a microwave or gas stove. However, veg peking soup is best enjoyed when it is cooked fresh and served hot.
Isn’t it a beautiful dish that includes so many different vegetables? Of course, it is! You just try this recipe at your home and let us know about your flavorful experience! However, if you are looking for more Chinese soup recipes like this, you must check out Veg Talumein Soup Recipe and Veg Lung Fung Soup Recipe, Spicy Indo Chinese Veg Manchow Soup Recipe.
Is It Okay To Add Vinegar Into Veg Peking Soup?
Yes, it’s perfectly fine to use vinegar in making veg peking soup as it enhances the flavor of soup. You can add Chinese vinegar or white vinegar to your soup but make sure that it’s of the best quality.
What Vegetables Can Be Added To Veg Peking Soup?
You can add all sorts of vegetables according to your preferences such as zucchini, broccoli, bell peppers, napa cabbage, steamed corn, sprouts, bamboo shoots, tofu, and much more. You can even try adding dried mushrooms like fresh button mushrooms, cremini mushrooms, or shiitake.
How To Make Veg Peking Soup Thicker?
If you like your soup to have a slightly thick consistency, then add 1 or 2 teaspoons of cornstarch and boil it for extra minutes.