An amazingly balanced flavoured soup packed with mixed veggies is all we need for a winter eve for example, lung fung soup, manchow soup, lemon coriandar soup etc.. This Indo-Chinese soup can be found on many Chinese restaurant menus in India.
There is no specific mention of the origin of Talumein soup, but food historians believe that the name of this soup came from the main ingredient, i.e. noodles
This recipe can be easily prepared at home by combining a handful of vegetables with noodles. The mixed vegetables are sauteed in ginger garlic paste and chilli sauce; soya sauce, pepper and salt are added to give flavour to the soup.
The Talumein soup is healthy and has an amazing taste. This Chinese soup is easy to prepare and can be consumed as a main course for dinner.
Veg Mixed Talumein Soup Recipe
- 1 ½ cups Mixed vegetables chopped (Carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, onions)
- ½ cup Sweet corn (grated)
- 3-4 cups Vegetable stock
- ½ tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1 – Green chilli (finely chopped)
- ½ tsp Soy sauce
- ½ tsp Chili sauce
- ½ tsp Sugar
- ¾ cup Raw Hakka noodles (broken into pieces)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbsp Spring onions (finely chopped)
- Salt and black pepper as per taste
- In a non-stick pan, heat the oil, add ginger garlic paste and saute. Add green chilli and mixed vegetables, and on medium flame, saute for 2-4 minutes.
- Add the corn and vegetable stock to the pan. Cook and then add soy sauce, chilli sauce, sugar, salt and black pepper.
- Add Hakka noodles and cook on medium flame while stirring occasionally.
- Cook till the noodles are soft, or the soup comes to a boil.
- Garnish with spring onions and serve the hot soup in a bowl.
- You can add corn flour to give the soup a thick consistency.
- Boiled Hakka noodles can be used directly instead of raw noodles.
- You can add broccoli, beans or any veggies of your choice.
- For non-vegetarians, you can make the same soup recipe with mutton, chicken and shrimp.
There are two types of Indo-Chinese soup: chicken Talumein soup and vegetable Talumein soup.
In veg Talumein soup, ginger garlic paste, green chilli, carrots, broccoli, onions, cabbage and sweet corn are sauteed in oil.
Vegetable stock is added, and soy sauce, chilli sauce, salt and sugar are added. Noodles are added, and soup is cooked for a while and served hot.
Which ingredients can be used in Talumein Soup?
This soup has two versions: the vegetarian one and the non-vegetarian one. In the veg Talumein Soup, you can add onions, ginger garlic, chilli, carrots, broccoli, mushrooms and any veggies of your choice. In the non-veg Talumein soup, you can use chicken, mutton and shrimp.
What is the difference between veg Manchow soup and veg Talumein soup?
They are quite similar; however, in Manchow soup, there are few veggies, and the soup is garnished with fried noodles, whereas in veg Talumein soup, you can use as many veggies as you like and the noodles are boiled and soft.