A tasty and healthy mixed vegetable lentil cake recipe, a popular Gujarati cuisine known as Handvo. Made from bottle gourd combined with mixed lentil dough and cooked till it attains cake-like texture. Handvo is served with green chutney for breakfast and evening snacks.
It is a healthy cake recipe as it consists of besan or rice or perhaps a combination of lentils and vegetables. A savory dish you can relish as a snack or light meal. Handvo is a little time-consuming dish, but the smiling face of your kids makes it worth the effort. Follow the instructions below and make a tasty savory Gujarati dish.
Mixed Dal Gujarati Handvo Recipe
- 1 cup Rice
- ½ cup Chana dal
- ¼ cup Toor dal
- 2 tbsp Urad dal
- ½ cup Yogurt (curd)
- 1 cup Bottle gourd (lauki) grated
- ½ cup Cabbage grated
- ¼ cup Of carrots grated
- 3 tbsp Coriander (finely chopped)
- ½ tbsp Ginger paste
- 1 Green chili (finely chopped)
- ½ tbsp Sugar
- ¼ tbsp Red Chilli powder
- ¼ tbsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ¾ tbsp Salt
- 1 tbsp baking soda or Eno
- 3 tbsp Oil
- ¾ tbsp Mustard seeds
- ½ tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp Sesame seeds
- Curry leaves
- Pinch of hing (Asafoetida)
- Rinse and soak 1 cup rice, ½ cup chana dal, ¼ cup toor dal, and 2 tbsp urad dal for 3-4 hours. Add ½ cup yogurt and ½ cup water while grinding to get a slightly coarse but smooth paste for a good quality handvo batter.
- Now add 1 cup peeled and grated bottle gourd, ½ cup grated cabbage, ¼ cup grated carrots, and 3 tbsp chopped coriander.
- Put ½ tsp ginger paste, 1 green chili finely chopped, ½ tsp sugar, ¼ tsp chili powder, ¼ tsp turmeric, 2 tsp oil, and ¾ tsp salt into the blended mixture. Mix it making sure that the batter has a quite thick consistency ( idli-like and pourable consistency)
- Add 1 tsp Eno and stir gently. Also, add a pinch of hing to the batter.
- Take a pan or tawa, grease it with some oil and pour the batter into it. Cover it with a lid and cook on medium to medium flame for 15-20 minutes.
- To bake handvo in the oven, preheat the oven for 15 minutes at 180° C and then place the container in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Take a pan, heat 1 tbsp oil at low flame, and add ¾ tsp mustard and ½ tsp cumin seeds. Then add curry leaves and ½ tsp sesame seeds. Mix gently for 30 seconds. Sprinkle the tempering all over the cooked handvo and let it cool.
- Once cool enough, cut the handvo into pieces and take it out of the pan before serving.
- For tangy flavor use curd or ½ tsp lemon juice.
- For fluffy and soft handvo, ferment the lentils overnight.
- Cook or bake the dish within 5 minutes of adding Eno or baking soda.
- Moong dal can be used as a substitute for chana dal or toor dal.
A savory cake of Gujarat commonly known as handvo is a colorful recipe cooked for breakfast or a light meal. Handvo is a healthy and tasty recipe full of nutrients. A savory cake of protein-packed filling bread. This savory cake cooked for breakfast can be served with spicy green chutney. In addition to Handvo, Gujaratis also enjoy Methi Thepla and Lilava Kachori.
Handvo has become a popular component of Gujarati meals. Dhokla and handvo are similar in a way as it’s fermented and tempered, yet different in the use of ingredients and process of cooking.
Is handvo good for health?
Yes, for the healthy individual it is a good savory cake. It has much nutritional value as the main ingredients are curd, toor dal, bottled gourd, etc that are rich in protein.
Can we add sugar in a handvo?
Yes, ½ tsp of sugar would enhance the taste of this savory dish. Although it is an individual’s choice to add sugar.
Which flour is used to make handvo?
Different flours can be used such as rice, besan, and different lentils flour. Normally chana dal is used to cook this savory cake.